Friday, 7 March 2014

Laundry Liquid Recipe

I started making my own laundry liquid as even the large-scale ones claiming to be for sensitive skin irritated my daughter's skin causing angry red eczema flare ups. I make this using my own Castile soap, but a good quality unscented vegetable-oil based soap should work just as well.

There are a few recipes available for laundry liquid, but this is the one that's worked the best for me.

To make the laundry liquid you will need:

60g grated castile soap
1.5 litres water
1/2 cup of washing soda
1/4 cup of borax
1 litre hot water
5 litres hot water

a large saucepan
a 10 litre bucket
a long-handled spoon
4 or 5 two litre bottles (you can use plastic milk bottles or similar)

Into the saucepan goes 1.5 litres of water and the grated soap. Warm over a low heat until the soap has dissolved. Then stir in the borax and washing soda. Continue to stir until the borax and washing soda have dissolved and mixture starts to thicken - sometimes this happens quite quickly, but it will thicken more has it cools so don't worry if it still seems a bit runny.

Pour one litre of hot water into your bucket. Then carefully pour in the soap mixture and stir well. Add the remaining five litres of hot water and stir again.

Pour into your bottles. Don't fill the bottles completely as the mixture can become quite thick so you may need to give it a good shake before using. About 1/2 a cup should do an average load.






You may also like to try this:
Homemade Laundry Powder


I link up here.

8 comments:

  1. I just bought these ingredients for a homemade kitchen cleaner! Though I bought a liquid castile soap, would it work the same as grating a bar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made this with liquid castle when I've been short of bar soap. You need to use a little more and it doesn't thicken quite the same, but I couldn't detect any difference in the way it cleaned the clothes.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for linking at #overthemoon! I look forward to seeing what you share every week. Please come back for #WonderfulWednesday or #ThursdayFavoriteThings. Don't forget to comment your link #'s so I can be sure to visit and you get a chance to be featured! Pinned and shared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love DIY recipes! Thank you for sharing with us on the Art of Home-Making Mondays at Strangers & Pilgrims on Earth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this recipe, I've been wanting to try to make my own laundry for a while, but have never gotten around it! I will pin this for sure, so I can finally start! We have sensitive skin, so this would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so delighted that you shared your safe, natural DIY Laundry Liquid Recipe at the Healthy Happy Green & Natural Party. I'm Pinning and sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been making laundry detergent for a while now, my recipe is quite different from your own, but this looks like it would work quite well! Thank you for sharing this with us at the Homestead blog hop! Hope we see you again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! I have just begun to make my own laundry detergent. I am going to try this method because I think it will work better than mine. Thank you so much for sharing this with #UpsyDaisyLinkup!

    ReplyDelete