Thursday, 3 September 2015

Five Favourite Essential Oils

I use a many essential oils when I make my soap and skin care products. These are a few of my favourites.

Lavender


Lavender is possibly one of the widely used and known essential oils. It has an old-fashioned floral herb aroma which is known for its calming effect.

With its antiseptic, antispasmodic and relaxing properties it can be used to relieve, cuts, itches, headaches, aches and pains, sunburn, insect bites. There are many ways to use lavender a few of which you'll find here.





Rosewood


I'm including Rosewood as it's a particular favourite - I love the rich woody scent and use a little of it when making soap.

Rosewood essential oil is extracted from the wood of the Brazilian rosewood tree by steam distillation. The essential oil is said to have antiseptic, antibacterial, analgesic and mild antidepressant properties.


Rosemary


Rosemary is an evergreen woody, shrub. The most common use of the essential oil is as a treatment for very dry skin utilising its antiseptic and skin healing properties. It can also be to promote the healing of wounds. A rosemary infusion can be used as a nourishing scalp treatment and to keep hair looking healthy and shiny.

Here's a great recipe for Peppermint Rosemary Foot Scrub.






Sweet Orange


Sweet Orange essential oil has an aroma very like the orange peel that it is extracted from - only more intense. The oil you sometimes see on the skin of an orange when you begin to peel it is the same that is extracted from the fruit via the cold pressed method.

The aroma of the oil has a sedative, calming effect and is said to help relieve anxiety. This essential oil is often used to flavour lip balms and in children's formulas. It should though be avoided is pregnant or epileptic. It may cause skin irritation in some people.







Chamomile


Traditionally chamomile has long been used in the treatment of insomnia. The skin-calming and healing properties of German (or Blue) Chamomile essential oil can be used in the treatment of sensitive or inflamed skin.

Roman Chamomile is a pale golden essential oil. It is mildly anti-spasmodic and has calming properties. It's sweet floral scent is said to help relax the mind and relieve anxiety.

Here you'll find a simple recipe for Chamomile & Lavender Tea.






IMPORTANT NOTE:
Caution should always be used when working with essential oils.
Essential oils should be avoided while pregnant.
Do not apply undiluted essential oils to the skin.
Do not use essential oils on children without consulting a qualified practitioner first.



I link up here.


Chamomile ~ photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/46151146@N04/5745143664">Ms. Chamomile, I presume</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/">(license)</a>

Rosemary ~ photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/9439733@N02/2286934097">Rosemary 1</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/">(license)</a>

Orange ~ photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/28622838@N00/3443110798">Oranges</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/">(license)</a>

11 comments:

  1. These are some of my favorite oils also! Especially lavender. It's such a soothing scent. Thanks for sharing at Inspiration Thursday! Have a great Labor Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think lavender is my favorite although I like the idea of the Peppermint Rosemary Foot Scrub which I might make. Thank you for sharing your favourite oils with us at #WednesdaysWisdom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lavender and sweet orange are my absolute favs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting! Lavender is a staple at my house, and I've used some of the others pretty frequently as well, but never rosewood. I will have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosewood can be a bit hard to find, but it's worth it - smells gorgeous!

      Delete
  5. I've not heard use of sweet orange before, but may have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post makes me want to make a foot scrub or take a long, relaxing bath! All of these are great scents, but I think my favorite would probably be chamomile. Thanks for linking up on the Country Fair Blog Party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just a relaxing post.. thanks for sharing your tips with us at #Alittlebitofeverything

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great suggestions here! I love Lavender! Thanks for sharing at the #HomeMattersParty - hope to see you again this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't tried rosewood or chamomile oil, but I do love lavender, peppermint, orange, and theives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosewood is gorgeous - just the right combination of sweet floral and woodiness - I love it.

      Delete