Monday, 28 September 2015

Six ways to use Peppermint


Mint is very easy to grow. Once established it is a very forgiving plant as long as you remember to water it. Mint can be quite invasive so is best planted in a large pot.

Varietes include spearmint, peppermint and chocolate mint. Dried mint leaves are often used in tea to help digestion.

Peppermint oil has many uses. It can ease sore muscles, settle upset stomachs and nausea, help to lessen congestion from colds. The cooling sensation can help with headaches.






1. Stress Relief


A few drops each of peppermint, lavender and rose geranium essential oils added to a warm bath can help relieve the symptoms of stress and tension.

2. Peppermint Rosemary Foot Scrub


Place these ingredients in a small bowl:

  • 1/4 cup sea salt
  • 1 tablespoon plain salt
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon coconut oil (you may need to soften this a little first)
  • 3 drops peppermint essential oil
  • 2 drops rosemary essential oil
Use a whisk to combine. If the scrub seems a little dry add more oil - too wet, add more salt. To use rub gently into damp feet, then rinse.

Store in an airtight container.


3. Spiders


Combine 5-10 drops of peppermint essential oil with one cup of warm water in a spray bottle. Shake well before use. Sprayed at entry point this may help keep spiders out of your home.

4. Mint Tea


Take a handful of fresh peppermint (or spearmint) Leaves. Wash, then tear or cut roughly into pieces. Place in a teapot and pour in 2 cups of boiling water. Allow to steep for 3-5 minutes - according to how string you like your tea.




5. Baking Soda Cleaning Paste


Baking soda can be used to clean all sorts of things at home. This is another simple recipe that works well. You can a use any essential oil you choose, but I like to use peppermint.

How to make cleaning paste:

In a small bowl mix 1 cup of baking soda and 1 tablespoon of cream of tartar (tartaric acid). Slowly stir in 10mls of liquid castile soap and 5 mls of water. Stir until you get a fairly dry paste. You may need to add a bit more water.

At this point you can add a few drops of essential oil - 20 drops of lavender, peppermint or sweet orange. Store in an airtight container.


6. How to dry mint


Mint is very easy to dry. You can dry it in a microwave or using a dehydrator, but I prefer to do it the slow way and air dry.

Always make sure you use healthy mint leaves that are free from sun, wind or insect damage. The best time to cut mint leaves is just before the plant begins to flower, as this is when the leaves contain the most oil. Once you cut the mint make sure that it's dry and there are no wee bugs hiding on the underside of the leaves.

At this stage it up to to you whether strip the leaves from the stems or do it once the drying period is over. Spread the mint out on a try lined with a paper towel. Place the tray in a warm, dry spot out of direct light. After a couple of weeks the mint will be dry and a little crumbly. You can now strip the leaves from the stalks (if you haven't already) and transfer to an airtight non-porous container. Mint is best store in cool, dry conditions.

Alternatively you can tie mint stalks into bunches and hang upside down in  a draught free spot until dry.






Important Note: As with many essential oils, peppermint should not be used during that later stages of pregnancy, not should it be used on young children




I link up here.


Photo: Mint Leaves http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/view-image.php?image=81068&picture=mint-leaves 
Photo: Mint Tea http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/view-image.php?image=17034&picture=mint-tea
Photo: Mint in a pot http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/view-image.php?image=107019&picture=mint-in-pot






15 comments:

  1. I have a couple of bottles of peppermint oil that were gifted to me and I'm going to try it around the outside for spiders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great tip! I have heard that mint is a natural bug repellent, but I didn't know it was for spiders in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the most part, I've been using peppermint oil instead of the plant leaves. While nursing, I've sadly had to avoid it. I'm not a tea drinker.... but your post really makes me want to try the tea for headaches and stress after I am finished nursing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a big tea drinker, but I do like peppermint tea. A blend of peppermint and chamomile works well for me when I've got a headache threatening.

      Delete
  4. We just made some peppermint soap for Christmas and it is smelling up our whole garage. Love that peppermint smell !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your garage must smell awesome! I love peppermint in soap.I make one with peppermint tea, peppermint EO and dried peppermint leaves for a triple hit of mint.

      Delete
  5. Love this! I need to order some rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all these ideas, we have mint in the garden and I wish I would have planted it in a pot, I regret it each year as it takes over a larger space! We even tilled the area hoping to break up the roots, it didn't work! UG! So, I will need to dry some to use later, and I guess we'll have to keep drinking mojitos all summer long! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your recipe for the foot scrub. Thanks for sharing it on the #AnythingGoes Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, I had no idea you can use peppermint to repel spiders. Thanks so much for sharing at Inspiration Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tips! Thank you for linking up over a the Country Fair Blog Party!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tips! I use peppermint oil for spiders too. It also does a great job keeping mice away. Thank you so much for sharing your tips @ Dream. Create. Inspire. LInk. I hope you will join us again tomorrow night. The party starts @ 8 EST. Take care, Tara

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love my peppermint oil. It's great for headaches and nausea. That foot scrub sounds amazing. I'll have to try it.

    Thank you for sharing on the Homestead Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete