Monday, 16 November 2015

How to make Elder Flower Cordial

Earlier this month I shared a recipe for Elder Flower Toner. Traditionally elder flowers have been used to treat all sorts of ailments and skin conditions, but they can also be used to make cordial. Our elder tree is a mass of flowers at the moment so over the weekend I made Elder Flower Cordial. It's simple to make and tastes pretty good.

The recipe I use is based on one I found in an old magazine a few years ago. I've reduced the amount of sugar used in the original recipe as we found it made the cordial just a bit too "sticky" even when diluted. Adjust the amount of sugar you use according to taste.




Elder Flower Cordial


To make this you will need:
  • 25 freshly picked elder flower heads
  • 500g -750g sugar
  • 1.5 litres boiling water
  • 1 teaspoon citric acid
  • a food-safe bucket
  • bottles 

Place the flower heads in the bucket and pour over the boiling water. Cover and leave to stand overnight. Next day strain the liquid making sure you have no "bits". I lined a large sieve with a piece of muslin to make sure none of the tiny flowers made it through into the strained liquid.

Put the elder flower liquid into a large saucepan with the sugar and citric acid. Heat gently while stirring until the sugar has completely dissolved. Pour the cordial into sterilized bottles and seal. The cordial can be used as soon as it's cooled and will keep for several months in cool , dry conditions.

Makes approximately 2.5 litres of cordial. To use dilute to taste with either still or sparkling water.









I link up here.




photo:<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/23985513@N03/14345050821">elderflower</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/">(license)</a>



15 comments:

  1. Oh, to have an elderberry tree! Thank you for sharing this neat recipe on the Art of Home-making Mondays :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were lucky that there was already an established elder when we moved here. The tree is a mass of flowers after a very mild winter.

      Delete
  2. [ Smiles ] Thank you for sharing another wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you know that the Elderflower means kindness? We could all do with some of that right now. Thank you for sharing your recipe with us at #WednesdaysWisdom and hope to see you linking up at our new Over the Moon Link up on December 7.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that. And we could indeed do with plenty of kindness right now.

      Delete
  4. What a great drink. I do not have access to elder flower but would love to try our cordial. Thank you for sharing #wednesdayswisdom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely on a hot day with some sparkling water. I have a recipe for citrus cordial that I'll be sharing on the blog soon.

      Delete
  5. I can never seem to find elderflower locally, but I know it's good for all kinds of uses! This looks awesome!

    stop by and chat with me ♥ http://storybookapothecary.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have elder everywhere though I have only made syrup. Thanks for sharing on the Homestead Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elder grows all over the place round here too. I'm making sparkling elder flower this weekend so keep an eye out for the recipe on the blog soon :)

      Delete
  7. wonderful post! While I do not access to wild growing elder where we live (Las Vegas), I have just come across a supplier, so your recipe comes at the perfect time. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I wonder if I could find Elder Flower around here. Thanks for sharing on the #HomeMattersParty . I hope you will join us again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not sure I can get my hands on elder flower, but I would love to try this myself. I love to make cordials. Thanks for sharing with us at Funtastic Friday. We'd love it if you joined us again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think in my early childhood that my grandmother had an elderberry tree on her property. Hadn't thought of it in years. Precious memories :) Thank you for sharing on the #SundayBlogHop

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Elderflower sodas, drinks, anything, but don't have access to a tree to make my own. I am so bummed now. This is a fabulous recipe!

    ReplyDelete