Monday, 4 January 2016

Elder Flower Tea for allergies (and hangovers!)

If you've read some of my earlier blog posts know that we have a big elder tree in the back garden and I've been putting dried and fresh elder flowers to good use.

This is a recipe for a mild-tasting Elder Flower tea which has traditionally been use to help ease hay fever symptoms.

Elder Flower Tea


Place 2 teaspoons of dried elder flowers in a small tea pot or directly into a strainer over a cup. Pour over 1 cup of near boiling water and leave to steep for up to 10 minutes.

Discard the flowers. The tea can be sweetened with honey.




Adding some finely sliced ginger root to the elder flowers before steeping and you have a tea that is said to lessen some of the effects of a hangover. I haven't tried this hangover remedy for myself so don't know how well it may, or may not, work.


More ways you can use elder flowers:

Elder Flower Toner
Elder Flower Cordial
Sparkling Elder Flower

I link up here. 

8 comments:

  1. I still have not had elderberry so must get some as yyou always make it sound so good. Thanks for sharing on #overthemoon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this information. Allergies is something we fight over here in hay country. We hope to see you again at the Art of Home-Making Mondays this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get hayfever right through the pollen season so I am always on the lookout for something that helps. :)

      Delete
  3. My allergies are the absolute worst. I've tried just about everything on the market but I've never heard of this before. Thanks so much for sharing at Inspiration Thursday! I'll definitely be a guinea pig to test this out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it works for you :)

      Delete
  4. Our hay fever is bad at the moment, so I'll have to give this a go! Thanks for sharing with the Blog Fair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of elderberry tea for allergies. I have lots of allergies, but mostly for all things green, grass, trees, bushes.
    I just might try this.
    Thanks for sharing at Turn It Up Tuesday,
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to try this. Living in Central Florida makes allergies worse than usual. Thanks for sharing with us at Funtastic Friday.

    ReplyDelete