Sunday, 17 April 2016

How to make Mint Extract

Mint extract is very easy to make. You just need three things: mint, vodka and a clean glass jar with good lid.

Start with a couple of handfuls of mint leaves (no stalks). It doesn't matter what kind. I have common mint growing here in a large pot so that's what I use. Use only healthy leaves.

Wash the mint, then scrunch up the leaves in your hands - you want to bruise rather than completely crush the leaves. This helps the mint to release its oil.

Place the mint leaves in a 500ml jar. Pour over enough vodka that all the leaves are covered. You will need about 2 cups of vodka. If you have any persistent "floaters" gently push them under the vodka with a skewer. Cover with the lid, shake, then leave in a cool, dark place for at least a month. 

The longer you leave the mint to steep the stronger the extract will be. Once the extract is sufficiently minty strain out the leaves and bottle.




I link up here.





12 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. This sounds easy enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a kid we had mint growing by the fence. I remember picking the leaves and rolling them in my fingers, then chewing the pulp. Thank you so much for linking at #overthemoon! I look forward to seeing what you share every week. Please come back for #WonderfulWednesday or #ThursdayFavoriteThings. Don't forget to comment your link #'s so I can be sure to visit. Pinned and shared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have never thought it was that easy!

    Thank you so much for sharing it with us at Sweet Inspiration party!! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just planted mint and will have to try this. Never tried to make my own extract.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always have so much mint in my garden. I am going to try making this with all my mint this summer. Thanks for the tip!

    Have you linked up at #bloggerspotlight yet this week? You should!

    http://www.raisingfairiesandknights.com/bloggers-spotlight-link-pin-it-party-17/

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great recipe to have on hand. Thanks for sharing at Merry Monday, hope to see you again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously? That's it? What an easy project! Thanks so much for sharing at Inspiration Thursday tonight. So happy to visit with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pinning this so I don't forget once my mint is up and leafed out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in the process of growing some mint in my repurposed grill (don't ask) so this would be a natural for me. Thank you for sharing with us at Sweet Inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delightful way to make the most of your garden mint! Thank you so much for sharing How to make Mint Extract with us on the Healthy Happy Green and Natural Party Blog Hop. I'm pinning and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had no idea it was possible to make mint extract. I can't wait to try this! #HomeMattersParty

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have a huge patch of mint on our farm. I'll have to add this to our list of uses. Thanks for sharing on the Country Fair Blog Party this month. I do hope you will join the new party tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete