Tuesday, 17 May 2016

How to make Vanilla Extract

Vanilla extract is very simple to make - you just need a couple of ingredients and a wee bit of patience.

Take 5-7 vanilla pods and split them in half lengthways. Put them into a glass jar or bottle (you may have to cut the split length to fit) and completely cover the pods with vodka. You can you rum or bourbon in place of the vodka for a different flavour.

Cap the bottle and shake gently. Store the bottle in a cool, dark place for at least one month (2 or 3 months for a more intense vanilla flavour), shaking occasionally.

As the vanilla steeps the vodka will darken - it's supposed to do this!

Madagascan vanilla beans are the most commonly used and easily sourced. They give the traditional vanilla flavour and aroma. Using African beans will give you a slightly smokey flavour. Tahitian vanilla beans are lighter, fruity and with floral notes.






You may also like:
How to make Mint Extract
Vanilla Honey Lip Balm


I link up here.

5 comments:

  1. This is SO cool! I love it. I was wondering just last week (when I discovered mid-cooking) that I was out of vanilla extract how I could make my own. This is right on time! Thank you so much for sharing with #UpsyDaisyLinkup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pleasure it will be to make this healthy and delicious DIY Vanilla Extract in my own kitchen! Thank you for sharing your recipe with us at the Healthy Happy Green & Natural Party. I'm Pinning and sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love making my own extracts! I didn't know about the different bean varieties, though. Thank you for sharing with us at the homestead blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Thanks for sharing how to make vanilla extract.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating. Had no idea how to make before I read this.

    ReplyDelete